Helps Ministry
Hello Everyone,
I don’t really know how long the helps ministry has been
going, and I don’t suppose it really matters much. What does matter is that we
are starting to see fruit here, and I would expect that some of the fruit,
probably most of it is still unseen. Nevertheless there are little things that
I see as well big things, but it is the little things that sometimes cause my
eyes to become moist. (Yes, I know some of you disapprove of that word)
So today for instance I’m at the chili lunch (cookoff) after
the service and I’m sitting with one of the guest families whom we have been
working with in the ministry. This is the very first time that the kids have
been to church, so I doubt that they had many preconceptions, a blank slate so
to speak. All they know about me is that I have asked them to come today and
since I put on my friendly demeanor this morning they think I’m friendly. That’s
all the kids know. Anyway, I mention that I’m still hungry after my first bowl
of chili, and leave the table to go get seconds. To my dismay, some of which
bled through on my face, they were all out of chili, so as I returned to the
table, I just flipped my plastic bowl into the trash, and sat back down, but
the five year old Elle saw the whole thing. She then went and got an extra cup,
and filled it with her left over oyster crackers and shredded cheese. “Here, I
made this for you!”, she said with a bright excited smile and that glint in her
eyes, revealing the excitement that comes when you have a chance to help
someone.
As her parents mentioned to me later, their kids absolutely
LOVED the whole experience so I OWE a huge thank you to you guys who work with
the kids ministry. You made it fun but more importantly you made them feel welcome and
spoke the word of God into their lives, maybe for the very first time. The
parents then mentioned that they will definitely be coming back next week, not
just because of what their kids experienced but partially because of it. It is
just great to see the kids and helps ministry working together in a way that I
would not have expected, should have, but did not.
In addition, I should thank Pastor Bob as well, or really
the entire pastoral staff. Regardless of whom I bring into the church I never
have to worry about the message they will hear. I have been attending here for
almost 20 years and have never gotten the sense that the staff was after money,
or size, or power or anything except a passion for introducing people to Jesus
and just letting God do the work. As I listen to the sermon, I try to listen to
from the vantage point of my guests, and so I actually listen more attentively
when I am there by myself, which is the usual case. Therefore, I thought to
myself, I should bring people more often, not just for their sake but my own.
I go to church mostly every Sunday, as do many, however as I
get older my reason for attending shifts. At first the primary reason was to be
encouraged through the sermon, hear the music, talk with people, and worship
God. As I get older, I now see that my primary reason is to BE the encourager,
yet still not neglect the remainder. As
most of you are aware, the church is not the building, the pastoral staff, the
worship team or any of that. WE are the church, and therefore need to actively
BE that, not just in receiving but in giving, and not just giving of money but
in encouragement, friendship, outreach, and all the rest of the things that we
should be doing. It’s really much more than a Sunday thing, but the ‘Sunday’
thing is important as well in that it provides a vehicle for encouragement as
well as a way to comfortably introduce people to God. We should certainly take
advantage of it.
Anyway, I now see a number of families and individuals that
were introduced to church through the helps ministry that are attending regularly,
but most importantly, are being changed. I see this in the present, but what I
won’t see for many years, if ever in my lifetime, is the impact on the
children, like Elle, and then their children 25 years from now in 2040, as we
allow the Lord to use us in breaking the familial cycles of sin and addiction
during the present generation.
By now you are wondering about the purpose of this email,
and you should be, since I really don’t have a purpose other than to share what
is happening. We don’t need your money (yet) , we have enough of that for now. There WILL, however, come a time when we run
low, and trust me, I will impose upon your generosity at that time, but that
time is not now. We DO have needs in other areas, such as rides to church,
assistance with moving, vehicle repair, food, and so on, and for these items I
will just continue to ask you through this email distribution list. Thank you
ALL so much for your generosity over the last couple of years, because regardless
of whether you see the fruit or not, it is there. I saw just a small part of it
in my cup of oyster crackers and shredded cheese.
Comments
Post a Comment