My Visit to Eugene
“Eugene is a Petri dish, where the Federal Government is the bacteriologist, removing all constraints from the sample population in order to view American anarchy. Kind of like Lord of the Flies with Adults.”
– Local resident
outside the Wandering Goat in Whiteaker neighborhood of Eugene.
Flying into Portland I can’t seem to get Carolina Pi out of
my mind from last week’s visit to Cairo (Illinois) . If you remember from my
last posting Carolina was about to tell me about what happened to Bobby
Albright, but in order to do so she had to talk about the epileptic Catholic
girl Mary Anne Piano. Apparently Mary
Anne had a fatal seizure where Albright left her, sans undergarments, right there in
the linen closet at Manser’s place after the party and when her brother Johnny
found out he took it real hard. After the funeral, like a couple days later, Johnny
found Albright in the auto repair garage where Bobby worked and starting
beating him with a ballpeen hammer that had been laying on a workbench. In
defense, Bobby picked up a nearby mason jar containing fluoroantimonic acid, popped the top, and threw the contents at Johnny, splashing
against the left side of his face. At the trial, Bobby pleaded self defense and
won, also stating that he didn’t know the nature of the liquid in the mason
jar. After Johnny got out of the hospital with the right half of his face
intact he kind of flipped out, got into LSD, moved out to California, back to Cairo, and then out west again to Oregon. From what
Carolina told me, Johnny eventually ended up in the Shiloh commune in Eugene
where I had lived in 1973 but with a strange personality disorder that I'll get into later. I don’t remember anyone with half a face then, but
he may have been at the commune before I showed up in October of that year.
Maybe he’s still somewhere in Lane County. Wouldn’t that be strange. I should
look him up and get his side of the story on what happened to Bobby Albright,
Bubba McCue and the others. Carolina’s
account just seemed sooooo bizarre.
Anyway Eugene is like the polar opposite of Cairo, since
Cairo is mostly black and Eugene is like ALL white. I mean, like bright glow in
the dark white, and about 1.5% black. There’s about 170,000 overall in the city
proper and about 360,000 in the Metro Area. But besides the difference in
racial fabric there’s the culture thing. Eugene is almost all hippie, like
psychedelic hippie. Cairo has NO hippies of any type. There could be a
correlation there since the only black hippie I know of is Jimi Hendrix and I
haven’t seen or heard about him since my Junior year of High School, and again,
Eugene has next to no blacks and the blacks that are there aren’t hippies. I
wonder why that is? Maybe it’s because they had already tried the Peace Love
thing before and it didn’t work well for them. In any case, you could just say
that while Eugene is into self-actualization that Cairo is into
self-preservation. Eugene has a homeless
problem and Cairo wishes the homeless wanted to live there.
I now live in Mount Horeb, near Madison, a place that really
tries hard to project itself as a hippie town, complete with hippie thought, as
many university towns do, but I’m now traveling to another one that actually IS
one. It is currently where my son Jon lives and he is the reason for my visit. I used to live in Eugene (accent on gene, Eu
is subsumed) back in the early seventies and was a member of the Shiloh commune
there on 1900 University Avenue where Johnny Piano lived. You know it’s a true
purposeful Hippie town because there’s a statue of Eugene’s patron saint, Ken
Kesey, right in the middle of the town square, and it’s the home of the Oregon
Country Fair (OCF) , which is kind of like Hippie Mecca. If you haven’t been to THIS fair you can still
be a Hippie but it’s like being a Muslim without having been to Mecca.
Something missing. I should also add that if you are just an attendee at this
fair, you may be a hippie, but you can’t really be in the inner circle and win
honorary Richard Alpert type status unless you are a staffer there since only
staffers can participate in the OCF AFTER PARTY, which according to some is
really the main event. I have never been there in either capacity, so I don’t
really know what I’m talking about, but from what I hear the after party is a
lot more psychedelic and much more Pranksteresque. Yes, in Eugene they care more about your PQ
than your IQ, or how much you resemble Cathy Casamo or Neal Cassidy. Actually, forget Neal since he didn’t have really
long hair. Actually, none of the male Pranksters did at the start of the acid
tests in November of 65, although they grew it out later on, like after the
whole Beatle thing. The guys appeared pretty normal from 100 yards. The girls
did not. (It’s hard to appear normal when you’re riding naked on the back deck
of a multi-colored International Harvester bus named Further on Interstate-10) Up close there was nothing normal about any of
them and that’s probably a good thing since normal people create neither
cultures nor sub-cultures.
**Note The bus was named by Roy Sebern, who first painted the word
“Furthur” on the destination placard. In
looking at the video documentary “Magic Trip” the bus name is always “FURTHER”
on the placard. My guess is that Roy
simply made a mistake on the initial spelling, someone corrected it by painting
over it, but then thought later that Furthur was actually better, and so it
changed to Furthur at some point.
Some may disagree about Eugene’s number one status as Hippie
Town saying San Francisco, Asheville, Bisbee, Portland, Missoula, or Berea, but whatever,,
Eugene is up there on anybody’s list. Or down
there. Yes, true hippies still exist but they are pushing
75 now, so some activities needed to tone down, and as they age further, will
tone down to nearly nothing. Or actually nothing. There are new ones too, but somehow they’re
different than the old ones. It’s hard to explain, but those who already
understand need no further explanation and those who don’t will not be helped
by further explanation. It’s just one of those hippie things that mostly only
older hippies understand.
I used to love hippie towns, when I mimicked one, although
at the time it was kind of a rule that if you really WERE one you would never
refer to yourself as such. That would kind of be like a teenage girl in high school
saying “I’m in the popular group”. They may know it but they would never say it.
I remember hitchhiking east over I-90 to Missoula, Montana
from Marble Mount, Washington in 1973, and was just fascinated with the
multi-colored buildings, the dry hills, multi-colored clothing, everyone plays
the mandolin, EVERYONE has really long
hair, long dresses for the ladies, the
bra stores were all out of business, lentils and sprouts were in abundance, no
old people, no conservatives, everyone thinking properly. Even the Jesus freaks
who thought improperly at least LOOKED like they thought properly. I remember
talking with an attractive young hippie woman downtown there, and while we’re discussing
the pastries at the Black Cat Bake shop, she pops out her left breast and
before feeding her infant just leaves it hanging there, nipple exposed to the two
o’clock sun. I tried not to stare since that would be so uncool for a true hippie
to do, and it would be really uncool if I reached out and touched it, so I just
appeared to take it in stride nonchalantly as I attempted to move the
conversation to the Black Cat’s crème filled Long Johns; it was awkward but interesting, and more
interesting than awkward. Everything seemed fascinating, and the people were
all far-out, had iron-clad logic underpinning their anti-Vietnam War culture,
and they were somehow better looking than those in towns that had real people. Hmmm,
now they are the norm, at least in the bubble communities. Also, while they
hate Trump they are thankful for him since now they have something meaningful
to protest. He kind of serves as their rai·son d'ê·tr , as well as a congealing
agent. There is no counter culture
without something to counter. At least not a fun one. While you CAN have a counter culture without
hatred, it’s more vibrant with it. It’s like gasoline versus kerosene. Way
different, but gasoline is certainly more fun. To them Pence is Kerosene, and
Trump is Gasoline. At the core they hate them both, but Trump is quicker and
easier, a convenient hate handle so to speak. He also appears to enjoy
supplying the handles. Pence doesn’t provide as many, but his essence may be
more despicable to them than Trump’s.
My friend Greg McCue, (Bubba's brother) originally from New Jersey, was with
me in Missoula back then in 73 and invited me over to a Catholic church where
he knew one of the priests who liked to get high so he asked if I wanted to
join him. “Absolutely,” I said, and we went over and smoked opium but I don’t
remember any conversation about Catholic stuff, or even Jesus. How far-out was
this! I just wanted to stay here the rest of my life thinking that if even the
priests do opium, that the rest of the town must truly be off the chart.
Unfortunately Greg had to get back to Washington so we headed back west to
Marble Mount to our little commune there
with Lucky, Mickey, Me, Greg, and Paul. That was it, just five of us, and yes,
just one girl, Mickey, who was married to Lucky, but we were hippies and the
marriage thing was deemed to be such an antiquated relic that it did not get
the proper respect. In any case, word got out that Mickey had a thing for Greg,
which she did, and Greg for Mickey, but he DID respect the marriage thing and
never touched her. He also respected Lucky's twelve gauge. Didn’t matter, the rumor was out and Lucky was
unhappy. Never said anything to Greg though. I only heard about his discontent
from the others. Lucky suspected me also so I tried by best to avoid the topic
altogether. As a wise North Vietnamese Christian once said, "better to let dead
dog’s lie, lest you get bit by the fleas."
One crisp September evening that year Mickey thought it would be ‘far out’ to build
a sauna out in the woods using alder branches, blankets, fire, heated rocks and
various buckets of water with eucalyptus scents. We first constructed the outer
shell of the hut using the alder branches, then placed the blankets on them,
forming a type of tepee without the whole in the top. Next we heated the rocks
in the fire, and when they were glowing red we rolled them into the center of
the hut using big sticks. Removing all our clothes, we sat in a circle around
the hot rocks, and poured water on them so that they would steam, thereby creating
the sauna. Worked great, except Greg was sitting directly across from Mickey, and
they just stared at each other, and it was REAL tough for Greg to not show any ‘emotion’,
which was REAL important since Lucky was sitting right there with a birds-eye
view of both of them. It should be noted that Mickey was not completely naked since
she WAS wearing her wedding ring. In order
to keep his mind off the parts that were not covered with a ring, Greg had to think of something really
unpleasant so he just racked his brains for unpleasant thoughts that could
sustain him and keep Lucky's finger where it belonged, which meant anywhere
except the trigger of Mr. Twelve Gauge. Ah, GOT IT. The New Jersey State Championship
baseball games of 1971. Perfect. Greg was able to recount that game and keep
his mind off Mickey for awhile, week’s later he explained to me what he was
thinking as follows…
“Since we were all naked and didn’t want Lucky to know how attracted I was to Mickey I had to think of something totally non-erotic and the best I could think of was the 1971 New Jersey HS Baseball Championship games. Remember, time was of the essence so I had to think quickly.
I was pitching against South River High near Perth Amboy,
and I couldn’t be happier. We were up 7 to 0 and I really don’t remember the
last time I had this much fun. There is no way they can hit me, and now in the
last inning the River Rats (their nickname) and their douchbag fans have turned from angry
pitbulls to despondent cockroaches, whatever that looks like. I’ve already
struck out 11, and will strike this one out as well to end the 7th
inning AND the game, allowing no runs. During their angry state they are
throwing the ball back to the mound as hard as they can to try to hurt my hand.
If I missed on purpose that would excite them further, and they would start
calling me a pussy or something. Anyway, I try to catch it in the web of my
glove each time, which I was mostly able to do. I’m surprised coach Hawkins isn’t saying
anything, and I think they’re trying to get me thrown out of the game. What
they want me to do is throw the ball back into their dugout as hard as I
can so the ump will eject me.
Since we are the visitors, I don’t dare complain myself for fear that it
will rile up the fans even more as well as the players, and the atmosphere is
hopeless enough for them which is keeping them somewhat calm. My curve is
working great today, totally faking them out, and so is my drop ball which
doubles as my change-up. I aim the curve ball at the back of their head, and then
just as they duck, it curves sharply over the plate. Sometimes they try an
awkward last minute pathetic swing, and then fall down, looking like an idiot.
Most of them time they just let it go for a called third strike, and walk back
to the dugout in a huff, looking like a fool. Even my fastball is rising with a little
jitter, so the combination is absolutely killing them. Just when they expect
the hanging curve they get the fastball or the slider. I laugh visibly and
audibly every time one strikes out which makes them even more furious. Dicky is
calling a great game behind the plate, and he’s the only catcher I’m
comfortable with. Been throwing to him since I’ve been five years old since he
only lives two houses down the street. South River went down easy, but the
environment was one of the most hostile. I probably shouldn’t have laughed
after the strikeouts.
Now I’m smelling the Eucalyptus really strong, and glance
again at Mickey, but no, must keep thinking about baseball. Back to baseball,
back to baseball, what next, ah, the Bridgewater game. Perfect. I start
thinking again…
A few days later we’re playing Bridgewater-Raritan East in
the state semi-final, and during my warm-ups I can tell that the edge I had at
South River is gone. The fastball has no zip. The curve breaks, but nothing
fantastic. In fact the curveball is advertising itself to the batter,
screaming, “ Here I come, see my spin? I’m a really slow curve ball, and now
I’m about to curve right over the plate, right in your wheelhouse, so NOW would
be an excellent time to hit me over the center field wall, or whatever wall you
prefer.” The fastball was saying something similar. In other words today I’m a
little better than a mediocre pitcher for some reason, but worse than that I’m
mediocre against in the semi-finals and teams in the semi’s don’t have mediocre
hitters.
This was affirmed when the lead-off batter hit the first
pitch to the center field wall, but it was caught for the first out. The center
field wall is really far away. Batter two steps up and hits the second pitch of
the game OVER the center field wall. Remember, the center field wall is really
far away. After that I never got another batter out, they scored five more runs
in the top of the first inning at which point they were leading 6-0 and finally Coach Hawkins replaced me with
lefty Craig Carlson who quickly retired the next two batters, and only allowed
one more run the rest of the game. We lost 7-6. In other words I, solely, all by
myself lost the semi-final state game.
People think that a good pitcher is always a good pitcher, with the only
exception being when he is injured. Wrong. The other exception is when he
doesn’t ‘have it’, and every pitcher knows what ‘IT’ is. Some days you do and
some days you don’t. Not a big difference in most disciplines, but since
baseball is a game of milliseconds and millimeters, that ‘it’ is huge, the
difference between getting 12 strikeouts or allowing 22 hits. All pitchers know
this, regardless of the level of play.
When Hawkins finally pulled me I remember thinking, ‘what
took you so long. You could see that I was struggling at 3-0 and certainly at
5-0. I am obviously a different pitcher than against South River and this is
just embarrassing as I watch the visitor’s dugout high-fiving each other, but
not just normal high-fives, but laughing high-fives, laughing in disbelief that
this is easier than batting practice, and they can basically score as many runs
as they would like as long as they leave me in. I can hear them mocking me in
the dugout, laughing at ME, like demons in the pit of hell. Their fans are
joining in the festivities, and they actually LOOK like demons. THIS is what it
feels like to be a piñata at a big party where the participants are drunk with
glee, as your insides release their contents.’
Ugh, Especially painful because a pitcher can’t
just pull HIMSELF out of the game, like just walk off the mound and tell the
coach that you’re done. I can’t just walk over to Craig Carlson in the dugout,
hand him the ball, and say “see what you can do”. Coach Hawkins has to make the decision, and
then have someone else warm-up, and then wait until that person is warm, and
this NEVER happens in the first inning. Since there is no protocol for removing
a pitcher in the first inning, the coach is stymied. How humiliating for
HIM to have the bullpen active in the
first inning with only one out in a State Championship game. In the meantime you
just have to try to do better, but the most painful thing is that you are ALREADY
doing the best you can, and there IS nothing better IN you. The best you can do is take a really long time
between pitches in order to just limit the damage before your replacement comes
in, and HOPE that the coach takes you out as soon as possible. If I were 10
years old I would be crying. Actually, I did cry I think. At 17. People thought
it was sweat, at least I hope that’s what they thought.
Eventually I’m taken out, and now have to sit on the bench
with my peers who are battling back, but 6-0 is tough to overcome. The ride
home on the bus is hell, and I’m actually told by the other pitcher that I lost
the game, as if I didn’t know that. Once I was pulled the coach never said a word
to me. Ever. To this day. Thus ended my baseball career, at which point I
decided that being a hippie was easier and less stressful. Problem was I wasn’t
very good at that either as easy as it was. You really just have to adopt a
certain thought pattern, grow your hair out, reject any type of authority, take
a few drugs and there you have it. The thought pattern is paramount though.”
Greg’s thought control technique as he explained it to me DID
work for about five minutes in the sauna tent, but then Mickey said something
about wanting another hit of substance, which took his mind off the baseball
games, South River and Bridgewater-Raritan East. He could feel the earlier
sensation coming over him, and some unwanted nascent activity, and was afraid
that Lucky would eventually perceive this activity. Time was of the essence and
for lack of any other thought control mechanisms he decided to ‘accidentally’
kick the WHOLE ENTIRE bucket of Eucalyptus water onto the fire, everyone in the
‘tent’ screamed, and since we would have otherwise died we bolted out the sides
of the structure, destroying it in the process, as the temperature spiked north
to about 350 Fahrenheit due to the excessive vapor. They cook pizzas at 550. Greg blamed it on the
bad acid but I knew he gave his last hit to Paul earlier, but Lucky didn’t know that,
which was all that mattered at this point. We were all infuriated though since
we had worked so hard on the alder branches, building the tent, and heating the
rocks, but due to the fact that we all wanted to be true peace and love hippies
we pretended as if we believed Greg’s story. Lucky really did believe it. I think Mickey set
the whole thing up just to tweak Lucky, whom she really didn’t care for.
Marriages can be funny like that, they look fine at a hundred yards but morph
when you get a bit closer.
Anyway, the hippies today are pretty much copies of the
hippies of yesterday, with some mutations, and not particularly attractive
ones. Kind of like cloned humans, yes,
they’re human, kind of. Of course now they ARE the normal people here in
Eugene, both clones and originals. They are similar to university professors in
that they are open to everything idealogically, except of course Christianity,
and in their defense how COULD they be open to something that is not open to
anything else? Actually they ARE open to
Islam which IS fascinating since Islam is against everything that they are for.
Anyway, If they gave assent to Jesus then they would have to dissent on
everything outside of Him, and there goes the Culture. He would have been
better off and certainly more popular if he said that many roads lead to heaven
instead of making the narrow statement that the only way to God is through Himself,
and that there is no other way. Not very open minded and not very much fun. Harsh.
Narrow. Truth is often both. We like teachings when they align with our
narrative but hate it when they don’t. The
Romans and Jewish leadership had similar sentiments, so they decided to make
sure he would never experience His 34th birthday, but that’s not a
major one anyone. They succeeded in that regard but only that. Two millenniums
later their Successors continue the battle with major wins in the West but not
so much in East. It’s got to be frustrating with communist China and now India
accepting the Message as the West rejects it. Jefferson and Madison would be
fine with it, but I wonder what John Adams and Hamilton would think.
The Successors have lost the Second Estate for now, which is comprised of the three branches of
government but it is most likely just a temporary aberration. The Supreme Court
is split for now, but if Trump is not assassinated by the Successors, it will
swing right, placing all three branches in opposition to them. Actually it will
swing right anyway since Pence is further to the right than Trump, albeit
masked by decent behavior. On the other
hand the Successors should really count their blessings since they still
control the other four Estates which are actually more powerful since they have
to do with thought control, which persists well into the future. These are the Ministries of Media, Social
Media, Entertainment, and Education. (The
First Estate of the Church lost power years ago) These last three are actually
more important than the Second since the Government only controls the Present
and immediate Future, while the others control the foreseeable future, since
they shape the minds of the children, which becomes the populace, which will
eventually manifest itself in the Second Estate anyway. Yes, even Jesus said that the eventual ‘winner’
in this world will be the Successors, with the Christians (old First Estate) basically
leaving, either through persecution, natural attrition, or rapture. Whatever
you believe, the writing is not only on the wall but in the Holy Writings.
Christians should actually be excited about the advances of the Successors and so
obviously should the Successors but for different reasons. See there’s
something in this for everyone. Still
not sure about how China will turn out. Probably like South Korea is my
guess. North Korea will follow if they
still exist as a sovereign state, or at all.
While my Spirit is at odds with the spirits in Eugene I
still love it here, probably because the people ARE so open and friendly. It’s
one of those places where you could just walk up to a person and say, HI, My
name is Bill, (if your name IS Bill) what is your name? Kind of like a five
year old… or a weirdo like everyone else here, which is exactly why you can get
away with it and which is what makes Eugene Eugene. You can’t do that in
Nashville. At least I don’t think you
can. I should try it. I HAVE tried it in Wisconsin with mixed results.
The weather this week in Eugene is sunny so pretty much
every afternoon my son and I go out to the Oakshire for a beer and a snack from
one of the snack trailers parked outside. The Oakshire, normally referred to as
simply “The Shire”, is in the Whiteaker neighborhood (pronounced Witaker) ,
which also hosts the Wandering Goat across the street. The Shire, with its
large outdoor seating area seems to function as the Central Nervous System of
the town, similar to the Grumpy Troll and Sjolinds in Mount Horeb. The seating
is family style so you are almost always seated at a table with people you
don’t know, except HERE, at THE SHIRE, you WILL have some type of meaningful
conversation with them by the time you finish your beverage. Furthermore you
will probably LIKE them, and want to have another beverage as an excuse to persist
in conversation.
Today I actually met another Christian at my table, who
overheard my conversation with my son, and decided to add her perspective. I
told her that I didn’t think that that were ANY Christians in Eugene, and she
laughed saying that I was probably right since she was from Corvalis. (You
know, the Beavers) I also met this extremely large and intimidating Mr. Natural
type guy named Harley, wearing a motorcycle gang jacket, fully tatted face and
body, and a three foot Chinese beard. We discussed the finer points of toenail maintenance,
WHY you should clip them , and whether you should use the Guillotine type or
the scissor type clippers. Harley preferred the Guillotine ones to cut his,
while I expounded the benefits of both the lever and scissor varieties. We both
agreed that it was important to cut toenails on a semi-weekly basis (twice a
week), since both of us like to wear multi-colored socks, which are more
expensive than their uni-colored cousins. I showed him my orange socks with the
blue skull and crossbones, and he showed me his with the pictures of homeless
people on them. When I mentioned that my toenails are easy to cut on digits two
through five, he started laughing and said, “Yes, the big toe is the most
difficult, developing an extremely hard sedimentary layer, but it’s also the
most important since it protrudes the furthest of ALL the digits and tends to
pierce the threading at the end of multi-colored socks, which again, are
expensive.”
“Yes!” I replied, and when you KNOW that your big toenail is
long, and therefore currently cutting the sock fabric it puts you in a bad
mood, making you less friendly, but conversely when your toenails are short
your mood is elevated, making you more friendly, and therefore we can assume that
due to the fact that we are BOTH pretty friendly guys right now that both of us
have fairly trim toenails since we are free from the mental burden of thinking
about the deterioration of our respective expensive multi-colored socks. Is
that a correct assumption?”
“Exactly, Gavrilo Princip shot Franz Ferdinand because his
toenail was puncturing the threading near his left toe, putting him in a bad
mood, which is why we have communists today. Let me buy you another beer” he
remarked, and after more laughter from both of us and the others at the table
who were now listening, he said that when he has a lapse in his toenail
maintenance he simply darns the socks himself, which seemed funny for such a
big intimidating guy. Here is the site he spoke of…
He proceeded to tell me where I could get the darning eggs,
which I didn’t even know existed, and that he belongs to a men’s darning club
that meets once a month at The (Wandering) Goat. I think he may have been kidding but again,
this is Eugene where many gender (or other) rules are applied loosely if at
all. I’m now excited that I can fix my
multi-colored socks by myself.
As the sun starts to set, and the cool breeze is getting a
little too cool, I look around for someone that could be Johhny Piano from Cairo, Mary
Anne’s brother mentioned earlier. It’s been a few years but there are
relatively few people here in Eugene that only have half a face. I also look
over by the rest rooms since according to Carolina, Johnny had developed a few
minor personality quirks after the fluoroantimonic
acid incident.
See, after the face
incident he had moved out to Petaluma, California to study Noetic Sciences at
IONS. There they would experiment on mice as well as human subjects to see what
affects staring (with intention) would have on the subject's heart rate, blood pressure, etc, and if it made a
difference if the subject knew they were being stared upon or if it were done
secretly. Therefore Johnny felt that he could alter the consciousness of any
given individual just by staring at them, which is one of the tenets of the
Noetic Science. Anyway, when he finished his studies and moved back to Cairo a
few years later he was having supper over at Willie Mae’s Wings over in nearby
Charleston, Missouri which had a uni-sex
bathroom similar to the Squire here. The unisex bathroom at Willie Mae’s had a
tricky push button lock on the handle, one that was hard to tell if you really
pushed it in and locked it or not, kind of like the Starbucks bathroom locks
today. This one evening Johnny tried to open the restroom door, the door DID
open, and sure enough the person inside, the fiftyish female person inside,
failed to properly push the button all the way in, and she let out a little
tiny scream. Johnny was certainly surprised, said s’cuse me ma’am, like most
men would do, but UNLIKE most men he just kept standing there, staring at the
poor women seated on the porcelain, as her screams became less tiny. After about
eight seconds of staring, and her screaming resonating through the Squire, he
shut the door and went back to his table, saying to everyone in general, ”hey,
don’t look at me, she should have locked
the door. Maybe she learned her lesson.” That’s messed up, but apparently this
staring incident was a relapse due to his Noetic science staring experiments
back in the early 70’s. The main reason he got away with it was because he was
such a big guy, and if your six and a half feet tall and just north of 300
pounds, people think twice about being confrontational.
Now eight seconds
may not seem like much time, but when a strange man with half a face is staring at you while you’re ‘busy’, it may as well be 3 hours. Anyway, Johnny, who
between the trauma of the acidic face, and his Noetic studies, thought it was
funny and tried to replicate the scenario in other restaurants or coffee shops
that had uni-sex bathrooms, gradually increasing the ‘stare time’ by a second
or two each time to see what how many stare seconds he could accumulate. According to Carolina he’d reached about 23
seconds over there in Paducah before some lady’s boyfriend, a short stocky
crazy little spark plug, laid him out cold with the fat end of the pool cue.
That seemed to cure Johnny of his ‘disorder’ for awhile, but only for a year or
so. Anyway, due to Johnny’s reputation I
figured maybe he never outgrew it, so I was looking over at the Shire’s unisex
bathroom when I saw this dude, nearly six and a half feet tall, with black
hair, gray beard, and a multicolored long dress on. Could it be? Nope, full
face, like most Eugenics, if that’s the correct demonym. Sounds like something
out of Brave New World. Hmmm, how appropriate. Anyway, I love the Hurricane Effect regarding
the Albright Beer situation back in 67 and how it continues to impact lives
today. Besides the deterioration of Cairo, the Uni-Sex bathrooms nationwide are
no longer safe. Damn Bubba McCue. Damn
him.
Throughout the rest
of my time here, I met many others, similar to Harley, like Scotty, Dan, Cory, Ivy,
Sprout, Billy, Carolyn, John, the Christian Lady, and others, and was actually able to
have entertaining conversations with most of them even though they were
complete strangers. Here is the thing. I don’t LOOK cool. I dress poorly with drab
colors. My socks don’t match. I’m bald. I wear glasses. Basically, I don’t look like a person that a hippie
would even WANT to talk to, but for some reason the people in Eugene still
engaged me, with warmth and intelligence. I think I could live in the Petri dish.
The Downtown Dog Ban, the TOMBS (Tweekers On Mountain
Bikes), The Saturnia Market, and The Eugene Music Scene…

thanks for the baseball commentary. i KNEW you were an honest to G-d bad ass pitcher. just couldn't remember how much and in such detail. too many brain traumas. very good read. i'm book marking this web page. later jz
ReplyDeleteThanks Josef, yes, should have probably continued with baseball, didn't really mature until about 22 or 23 but my then I was in Shiloh, who knows. Maybe it would have ruined me.
Delete