Visit to Cairo


Racism is most acute when directed against one’s own race.  Yuri Slapanovich – August 1971, Family of Man Commune in Marble Mount, Washington.

People tend to think that internalized racism is mostly the domain of pasty white teenage girls who want to appear blacker than they are, but is usually outgrown by the time they reach thirty years of age or so. If it persists beyond thirty then usually the individual is deemed to be marginal in the mental arena, but before then it is tolerated, never appealing, but tolerated. In the case of Leroy Coleman, it was never outgrown, and the devastating results can still be seen today according to the elderly woman I spoke with on the steps of the Mighty Rivers Worship Center in Cairo on March 26th, 2017. 

A long trip is in store for me on this Sunday morning, and unless I’m headed west it always starts with the not so mundane drive through downtown Mount Horeb.  The traffic is backed up again, not due to an overabundance of cars but because Mt. Horeb has an inordinate number of Pedestrians, Walkers with Dogs, Walkers without Dogs, and other Curious Individuals who tend to back things up. I’m thinking that the main culprit today is Tiffany, one of the individuals who fall into both of the last two categories. 

Pedestrians are those who have driven to downtown, parked, and are walking about the shops. These are mostly normal people with below average to above average IQ’s. The Walkers (with and without Dogs)  are those who walk from home to get downtown, and walk over town, for a variety of reasons, exercise, weight loss, mental health, past time, attention seekers, and those who don’t have a car. Their IQ’s run outside the bell curve in both directions, but there are also some in the middle.  The Walkers with Dogs are viewed as sane and people that you might approach and to whom you might introduce yourself. 

When people see someone walking a dog around town they automatically assume four things. One, the person NEEDS to walk themselves in order to walk the dog. Two, the person is being kind to the animal by walking it. Three, the person owns the dog that they are walking and therefore is a lover of animals. Four, attributes two and three pretty much certify that the person is not crazy.  This makes them seem normal and approachable, and introductions generally go well. 

No such assumptions exist for Walkers Without Dogs like me and Tiffany so introductions may not go as well. The final category,” curious individuals”, speaks for itself, and many of them are also Walkers, but few are Walkers with Dogs. 

Tiffany! Ugh. Just as I suspected, she is backing up traffic using one of her favorite techniques, abusing the Wisconsin Pedestrian Yielding Statute. This state law says that if you see a person in the crosswalk about to cross the street at an uncontrolled intersection (no stoplight), you must stop (yield) your car, and let them pass, otherwise the police can and WILL give you a ticket for failure to yield. I have received one myself as have many others in this town so the law is well respected in Mount Horeb. In addition to the price of the ticket the greater penalty is that the cop stops you for a half hour while they ‘process’ your plate to see what else you you’ve done wrong.  Some outsiders think Mt. Horeb people are just nice, and some certainly are, but that’s not why they’re stopping to let you cross. They have to, so sorry to tarnish the image. 

 As a Walker, Tiffany is well aware of this law so she stands at the edge of the crosswalk, giving the impression that she is about to cross the street but she never does. She just stands there. The cars all stop to let her cross , and then after a few seconds she will just wave them on with either her left, or right hand depending on the direction, with pursed lips, as if doing them a favor, and continues standing there. She just LOVES the act of waving them on, kind of like a power thing where she can singlehandedly control the traffic flow through the village and give utter strangers ‘permission’ to proceed. Technically she is doing nothing wrong, and it’s hilarious to watch, unless you’re driving, and then it’s real aggravating. I roll down my window and yell, TIFFANY, KNOCK IT OFF, wait until I’m out of town!!!  She laughs because she knows that I know, and yes we know each other well since we’re both Walkers without Dogs and all Walkers without Dogs know each other well. It should be also noted that Tiffany has no car, has no job, needs no job , needs no car, lives close to downtown, has no worries, and I envy her.

After I get through the manufactured traffic problem I see the Gujarati hotel to my right, which used to be Mt. Horeb’s high end hotel, right, chandeliers, great Olympic size pool and area, and was principally used by people who would come from all over the world to be treated at the Gonstead Clinic of Chiropractic Medicine.  Yep, one guy named Joseph would fly in from Stockholm once a year for an adjustment.  At least that’s the story. 

The Chiropractic business fell off a bit about 20 years ago, and with it went the fortunes of the The Gujarati, however, it is still an extremely interesting place, probably more so than when it was ‘high end’. You see, the owner, Ranjit, who is a great guy, rents the rooms out to people who need temporary shelter, and charges pretty reasonable monthly rates, but doesn’t ask any questions. No deposit, no last month’s rent, no application, no ID check, nothing. You give him money, he gives you a room.  Simple, that’s the way it SHOULD be.  You also get Wi-Fi and free Cable. The pool is empty and cracked now, but nobody cares, at least nobody that lives there cares since they’re not typically the swimming type. The location is also fantastic since it’s right next to Walgreens, McDonalds, and the Mt. Horeb Library so it works for a lot of people, and he keeps the place full. I too would live there if I could Hindu him down on the price a little more and get Anne to agree to downsize. Also, Anne IS a swimmer.   Most of the people are smokers, but if you have some type of small mammal then that costs 10 dollars extra PER NIGHT for urine cleansing. Almost all the tenants are smokers for some reason, but I think they have to smoke outside because I’ve noticed a significant number of cigarette butts on the outside window sills, mostly Camel Non Filters, probably due to the rich taste.

My interest in the The Gujarati is not insignificant. As a member of the Life Church helps ministry this place allows me to provide shelter to people that might otherwise be homeless at a rate the church can afford.  In addition, the people there seem to be a humble lot, which helps with my role as an evangelist, since humility is a prerequisite for conversion. At least some.  I am considering holding a Bible study there on Saturday’s right there in the ‘courtyard’. Which brings me to the topic of Cairo, since there are indeed some parallels between Cairo and the Gujarati of Mount Horeb. They both had former glory now dissipated, and both contain poor majorities, except in the case of Cairo the majority are minorities.

Cairo used to be a bustling town of 15,000 people situated on a peninsula that’s juts out into the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Due largely to hatred between the Caucasians and the Negroes, as well as a drop-off in ferry traffic, the town self-destructed years ago, with investments removed as well as people. A shell still exists, but most of the establishments in the shell are now closed, but while only a shell exists the 2,500 people who DO live there are not shells at all but full blown human beings, as complete or as incomplete as you and I. I had been there a few weeks ago, just passing through but today it IS my destination, and I’m excited to return. Before I do however I must drive through the ENTIRE state of Illinois, since Cairo is situated at the extreme southern end, poking itself precariously into the waterway confluence between Kentucky and Missouri.

Interstate 57 is just a couple miles away from downtown,  but few get off at Exit One to visit, since there is next to nothing TO visit. The schools are in the Cairo Unified School District 1, which has the highest number of students below the poverty line of any school district in Illinois, and the 15th highest in the nation at 60%. Some houses are in a heap, as if hit by tornados, but the tornado just dropped the debris in a pile.  Some are still intact, but black inside, no screens on the windows, and sometimes no glass. There are some decent homes as well but there are an inordinate number that are not decent. Sometimes you can tell a house hasn’t been occupied in years due to the window treatments or lack thereof, plus the blackness therein is much blacker than the dark windows of inhabited homes. You can just tell. I don’t know why, but when the lights are out in an inhabited home, it looks black from the outside. When the lights are out in an uninhabited home, somehow it looks even blacker from the outside. Hard to explain, it’s one of those things that just ‘are’, and yes I’m taking my cue from the plural as opposed to the singular.  I’ve seen the same type of think it the little huts along Interstate 15 as you cross the California border headed toward Los Angeles. Fascinating, yet eerie group of ‘homes’ along that stretch. 
 
Like I mentioned, I had been here a couple of weeks ago just passing through, but now I’m actually headed to an actual event in town, hosted by The Mighty Rivers Worship Center advertised as a Sunday night Dinner and Movie. I had met the white librarian on my last visit, but I hope to meet a more representative segment of the community on this more purposeful trip. 

The event doesn’t start until 6:00 PM but it’s only 4:00, so I decide to check into the Quality Inn at the edge of town, over by Exit One on I-57. The black lady behind the counter smiles, welcomes me and checks me in. After the customary exchange of ID and Credit Card, she hands me the plastic key and says “Room 101”. 

I laugh and ask, “What, are you in the Ministry of Luuuv?” drawing out the vowel for ebonic flavor.
 “Whatchu talking bout?” she retorts with a bewildered half smile. I realize now that my comment  could be misinterpreted so I explain.

“In the book 1984, Room 101 is the room in which the Ministry of Love tortured people, using their worst fears to determine the type of torture to be applied. Do you remember that book?”
She laughs, “Never heard of it.” 

“Ok, I’ll send you a copy of it after I get back home. What’s your name?”

“Mahogany.” 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mahogany. My Name is Bill, please don’t let them torture me. Since you’re probably the only Mahogany working in this hotel I’ll just address it to your first name."

Umph, I love people that don’t need a last name.  Anyway I’m sure she thinks that I am nuts and will continue to think so until April 14th,  2017 which is when the package with the book will arrive at the Quality Inn. She also probably thinks that I won’t send it, but I will. I know I will.  It only bothers me a little bit that she will think I’m crazy during the interim, but I’ve dealt with worse.  At this point I have decided to adopt Mahogany as one of my friends. 

People talk of guardian angels but I believe there are also guardian friends as well, and that God, through his Holy Spirit may assign you several people that YOU are supposed to watch over, not as an angel but as a regular caring human being. You can’t do this with everyone since with too large a number you would become ineffective, but seven or eight works well. She will be my first one in Cairo. Maybe there will be others, but one is enough for now. Letters should work fine, but we’ll start with 1984 in a USPS package. 

Room 101 turns out to be just fine, meaning that it doesn’t smell good and it doesn’t smell bad. That’s really all I ask of a hotel AND all that is all I hope for in places like this. Sometime these ‘two stars’  smell like either urine or perfume on top of urine. The smell you want is “No-Smell”.  Turns out, everything else is fine as well, hot water works, most light bulbs are in working order, in-room coffee pot, soap, and the bed is made, and no visible infestation. I suspect that the maids have peed in the plastic drinking cups, which used to bother me, but as long as you know it going in you should be good.  Just give them a little extra rinse before using them.

Reminds me of when I worked at Bill’s Pizza on the Manasquan Boardwalk. We used to let the flies land on the pizza, then put it in the oven at 550 degrees. At 550 the flies would lose their internal moisture and therefore their shape, becoming deeply charred, taking on the appearance of black peppers or oregano embedded in the pizza. The clientele couldn’t tell the difference but our boss Billy Acker thought it was hilarious. So did we.  It’s the little things that make work enjoyable, so I kind of get the peeing hotel maids and would probably be one if I were female, and of the similar mindset to my pre-Christian self. 

I decide to rest since the trip top to bottom through Illinois, was four hundred and thirty four miles long and took SEVEN hours, through Rockford, then Peru, Normal, Champaign, Mattoon, and finally to Effingham, where I usually stop for a Starbucks.   Hardly anybody knows how long this state is but I do, and I understand it deeply since I have experienced it so many times. As I lie here on my hotel bed here in Cairo I consider the significance of Effingham, since it is the halfway point between Rockford and Cairo, and is at the intersection of Interstates 70 and 57, which is probably why it exists. I LOVE Effingham, lots of features besides being the halfway point. Here are the top ten. 
1.  Halfway point when driving north to south in Illinois
2.       Good Starbucks with nice workers and comfortable seating area to the left of the counter
3.       Firefly Restaurant, fantastic food and outdoor seating by the drainage ditch.
4.       Lots of Cheap Hotels and Cheap Restaurants all within walking distance of each other.
5.       Bucolic walking path near the Firefly Restaurant that meanders for miles through central Illinois.
6.       Cheap living, so good retirement place
7.       Name that can be easily made fun of
8.       It’s is unsuspectedly right in the middle of Illinois, see point one.
9.       The High School boy’s teams are called the Eff-ers.  The girls teams are called the Lady Eff-Ers.        You can imagine what they call the Moms. The Dads are just called Dads.
10.   They sell T-Shirts at the gas stations that say Eff-This and Eff-That and it is so Effing ridiculous it’s funny. 

In any case I ALWAYS stop in Effingham, whether I need to or not. 

In one of my earlier ruminations I had spoken disparagingly about Illinois, (not Chicago), but I had done so with limited knowledge, in other words ignorance. I am still ignorant but the difference now is that I have an interest in what this place is made of. It’s strange but lately my interest in a particular locale is inversely proportionate to the apparent emptiness, as if the state is trying to hide something of value. Once you realize that something is being hidden, your interest in finding it is heightened, even if the object may not be that valuable. When you find a gem in a gem store it is not as fun as finding a lesser gem at the town dump. I am starting to believe that this state is full of gems, and I DO intend to find them. Probably lots along the Rivers, those being the Illinois, the Mississippi, and the Ohio. This summer. Yes, this summer I will explore it. Illinois. I will explore it.

It’s now getting close to 5:15 PM here in Cairo and although I’m still pretty beat I  decide that I’d better start thinking about my evening attire, which can be tricky when attending a church with which you’re not familiar.  Since I know that the city is 62% black, I figure that it’s probably a black church or at least mixed, and since I also know that people of color tend to dress up for church out of reverence for God I figure I should wear something other than my Under Armour sweats and Rook Coffee T-shirt. I look in my bag and find a nice pair of gray Haggar slacks, a deep blue Brooks Brothers button down, and my burgundy Eccos. No tie, but I’m sure the black folks will understand since they know how whites dress for church and may even appreciate the effort. Still, a tie would be nice. Maybe I could still pick one up in town, but then remember that the only places still operating in Cairo are the public utilities, Talk of the Town, the Dollar Store, and hold on, it’s Sunday to only the Dollar store is open. Oh well, again, I hope they understand about white people, which I’m sure they do since Cairo is 36% white. Actually I’m getting  excited, because I kind of like being the only white guy in all black places. Can’t really explain it. The Brooklyn tabernacle is kind of like that. So is downtown Newark. In fact I tend to rank churches by their racial makeup as follows:

1.       Churches with an even mix of blacks and whites.
2.       Churches that are all black
3.       Churches that are all white

Yes, I know that I’m sounding like a teenage white girl with a bad outbreak of internalized racism, but at least I recognize it, which I know doesn’t excuse it. 

Unfortunately the first type of church is rare and is my favorite. It is my favorite in that it shows that Jesus can overcome racial acrimony, and it creates a framework whereby blacks and whites have to come out of their respective neighborhoods and work in harmony to further the kingdom. This DID happen in Brooklyn. It could happen in Cairo, and I’m hoping that it has. IT won’t happen in Mount Horeb and any other predominantly white neighborhood because people mostly go to churches in their own neighborhood which is fine, but they live in separate neighborhoods which is not fine, they go to separate schools, and even if they go to the same schools they eat at separate tables if there is a significant black population there.

The past pattern has been that when blacks move in, property values decline, so whites move out, lowering prices, allowing more blacks to move in, and so on . Yep, still happens today. To reverse this I think that the onus is on the Christian whites to move into the Black neighborhoods and take it upon themselves to integrate.  That’s what my friend Ron Dotzler did and his wife Twany. Ron is white, Twany is black. Twany was born in the same hospital as me, which is Muhlenberg hospital in Plainfield, New Jersey.  Ugh, I’m now realizing that while I’m all high-minded about this, I probably won’t act on it.  Why? Not because I don’t want to but because I’d have to sell my house which is a hassle and I’m lazy. What a pathetic white person I am, and just because I admit it does not make it noble. It almost makes it worse. Pray for me. On second thought, don’t. Not for that. Let me see if I can do it on my own first. If I can’t I’ll issue another request.

The Mighty Rivers Worship Center

Since I had been to Cairo before I already know exactly where the Mighty Rivers church is located, so I pull my red Chevy 2500 Vortec 8 Cylinder Extender into the side lot where it barely fits within the parking line indicators, but I don’t see too many people around. There’s a few WHITE people heading into the side door, so I follow them into an open cafeteria type room, and as I enter I realize to my internalized racist dismay that this is a predominantly white church, at least on Sunday nights, and also that I’m am one of the younger ones of the group, and I am not that young. There are a number of long folding tables placed end to end to form three really long rows of tables with plastic white table cloths with white fuzz underneath, and fluorescent lighting, with a big movie screen on my right hand side. People are bringing in crock pots with food and plugging in their cookers or chafing/warming trays. Seems like kind of a pot luck type thing but I have brought nothing, but then again, I’m a guest and could I really be expected to bring a chafing tray full of baked beans all the way from Mount Horeb, Wisconsin? 

Many of the people are seated, about 25 totally whites, one barely white lady, and one totally black lady. Not exactly the mix I was after. I go ahead and seat myself in the middle of the center table, and just sit there, staring into space, not wanting to make too much eye contact. Eventually a man comes up to me and introduces himself as Henry, asking my name.

I look him in the eye and say, “My name is Bill, nice to meet you.” 

“Phil?, your name is Phil?”

“No”, I replied, “Bill”, like in William. 

“Oh sorry, Dell?”.

“NOOO, Bill, as in William”. 

“Will?”

“No, Bill as in Billy”.

“Milk?” he questioned, “your name is Milk?
It’s at this point that I just want to acquiesce and say, “Yep, my name is Milk. My parents owned a large dairy concern in Northwestern New Jersey, and in order to promote their product they decided to name their firstborn Milk, which is me, ’Milk Magnesia Snyder’.”  I was then reminded that I am the guest here and should not lead with sarcasm, and this is a church and I am a Christian, so sarcasm would not be the most loving response in this situation. But what am I supposed to do? Is the name ‘Bill’ that uncommon?  Do I have a speech impediment? Am I slurring my words? Is it my Wisconsin accent that I don’t even have?  Do I have to write it down on a napkin or something, but if I did that then I would offend this older gentleman. Ok then, one more try…

“B I L L, with a ‘B’ as in Bumble BEE!”, I nearly shouted but with the greatest articulation that I could muster as if I were teaching a Mongolian how to say English names which contain consonants.

“Oh, BILL, nice to have you, my name is Henry, Henry Aaron and this is my wife Betty!

What a relief!  Anyway, I wanted to make a comment, like “and all these years I thought you were black” but then I figured at 83 years of age he had heard enough comments plus I feared another dialogue like the one illustrated above. I also had to consider that he might have been one of the “White Hats” which in years past had banded together to combat the Unified Front during the Cairene Racial Wars of the 60’s and 70’s right here in downtown Cairo.  Please don’t think that I am overstating what happened here, since it is one of the principle reasons that Cairo borders on being a ghost town today.

It is reported that it all started with Robby Hunt (Robert), a 19 year old boy of Negroid origin. On July 16, 1967 Robby, while home on military leave, was found hung by a deeply soiled T-shirt in the Cairo police station. Then on July 17th, the incensed black population burned down three or four buildings, plus damaged many others. In reaction to this riot, the white Cairenes formed a group called the White Hats, a group of about 600 men who wore white construction helmets, and they assumed the role of law enforcement, patrolling the streets of Cairo to maintain order. They were even officially deputized by the Sheriff. Mind you, this is 1967 in Illinois, barely Illinois, but Illinois nonetheless. 

According to many, the White Hats deployed bullying and harassment tactics so therefore in early 1969 the blacks produced their own group called the United Front led by the folks who lived in the Pyramid Housing project and a man named Charles Koen. The United Front was comprised of black individuals from the Pyramid Project, the NAACP, and a couple of the Cairene street gangs. They decided to boycott all white businesses in Cairo, and the boycott lasted about 10 years, which would be damaging in any town but especially here since the businesses were owned primarily by whites but the blacks are the majority not the minority of the populace.

It should also be noted that early in the morning of December 6th, 1969 there was a two and half hour gun battle between the police and the black residents of the Pyramid Housing project. It is said that the firefight started by Pyramid residents shooting firefighters who were fighting a nearby blaze.  A lot of people got shot, including the Cairo Chief of Police. Bad situation. 

I could go on, and this is a story in and of itself, but it is against this backdrop that I watch how I color my humor regarding race, and therefore back off the Hank Aaron “always thought you were black” comment. As Yuri Slapanovich once said, “there are times when humor needs to sit in the back.”  THIS is one of those times and actually the comment wasn’t that funny anyway. 

Henry then introduced me to the others, and none of the others had any trouble understanding HIM, so maybe I’m not as articulate as I had previously supposed, in other words I am the problem. This is also the reason I use the name ‘Raoul’ at Starbucks as opposed to ‘Bill.’  

The leader of the Sunday movie/dinner event, Larry Potts, a tall good looking white haired man in his mid- eighties leads with a prayer of thanks for the food, and then we get up, fill our plates from the chafers, and sit down to eat. I filled up on the macaroni salad that was topped with some type of crispy crusty breaded stuff, and a bunch of green beans for my health, and just a little bit of chicken. Also mashed potatoes since they had real butter. It upsets me when places serve mashed potatoes and don’t have real butter. They have some manufactured substance that looks like butter, and even the packaging says something like, “I can’t believe it’s not butter”, but you know what, it’s NOT butter, and I can’t stand that, and I can’t stand that they are trying to make you think that it’s just like butter when it’s not.  It’s always called something like what I just quoted or buttery spread, or margarine, or some other obnoxious name. 

As I sat down, Henry sat on one side of me, and his wife Betty on the other, so all three of us were sitting in the same direction like in the Last Supper, with no one facing us because of the orientation of the movie screen so we all had to face the same direction. As we sat there eating, waiting for Larry to start the movie, Henry and Betty explained to me who was who in the room, and a little bit about what had happened to Cairo. Henry had lived here all his life so was around during the horribly violent times in the late sixties and seventies, but was also here in the forties and fifties when the town was bustling before the demons of racial strife had destroyed the place. Henry was also in charge of the levees in Cairo, which is a pretty big job when you live on the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers AND your town is on a peninsula, AND your town is the lowest point in the state of Illinois, which has a lot of low points. 

The movie for the night is called War Room, and I can readily tell that it’s a Christian movie since it’s labeled PG and for other reasons that I can’t explain. I’m not sure why it’s not just G since I can’t see any reason for Parental Guidance. Sometimes I disrespect Christian movies as inferior, not real movies, and yes this is a false notion, but nevertheless a notion that I own. As the movie progresses I am drawn in. It’s the story of a black family who is having marital problems, mostly the fault of the dude who is an executive pharmaceutical sales person, giving his life to the job, with nothing left over for his wife or daughter. The wife is a real estate agent, who meets an older black woman while trying to sell her house, and during the sale process the younger woman shares her problems with the older one, who then begins a tutoring process on the attributes and power of prayer. Meanwhile the husband is in the nascent stages of an affair. 

Ostensibly, the tutorial is for the younger woman in the marriage and certainly for those watching the movie, but really it is for me. Did I really need to travel 500 miles to start thinking about how to be a proper husband, and to start realizing again the importance of prayer. I’m reminded of what Eric Clapton said when asked why he prays on his knees. 

"I was in complete despair," Clapton wrote. "In the privacy of my room, I begged for help. I had no notion who I thought I was talking to, I just knew that I had come to the end of my tether … and, getting down on my knees, I surrendered. Within a few days I realized that … I had found a place to turn to, a place I'd always known was there but never really wanted, or needed, to believe in. From that day until this, I have never failed to pray in the morning, on my knees, asking for help, and at night, to express gratitude for my life and, most of all, for my sobriety. I choose to kneel because I feel I need to humble myself when I pray, and with my ego, this is the most I can do. If you are asking why I do all this, I will tell you … because it works, as simple as that. “ Yes, a lot of people don’t know that Eric is a Christian. 

Anyway, the point that really hit home was the fact that if a couple takes marriage seriously you are essentially, albeit willingly, trapping yourself AND your partner into a supposedly beautiful monogamous relationship from which there is no escape, and from which you don’t want to escape. The idea is that you want them to be trapped in a good situation, but if you are a jerk to other partner then you are trapping them in a bad situation, and are therefore condemning them to a type of hell on earth, which is such an evil thing to do to another person, ruining their ENTIRE life, and this causes me to examine how I act toward MY wife. As if on my death bed, I replay all the mean things I have said, or mean looks, or disparaging comments, or whatever and think, ‘would I want to be trapped with myself and be forced to hang out with me?’ No way. Is this why I’m in Cairo, not for me but for Anne?  Well for me to because of the prayer thing, in addition to the marriage thing, which is probably for her. There is really nothing wrong with Anne, and no I’m not saying that tongue in cheek. There really isn’t. I wish there were so that I could have an excuse for my behavior.
Then I think of the others that I know, where the wives or husbands are trapped in a marital hell, and for a number of reasons there is no way out. I’m crying openly at the table now, among these unknown Cairenes, onto the plastic tablecloth with the furry stuff underneath it. I can tell that the Cairenes are crying also since I hear an inordinate amount of sniffles, but I don’t dare look them in the eye, nor them me. Crying in front of strangers is difficult, especially if the place is well lit. The movie theatre is usually okay since it’s dark, however if you are sobbing, like I did a couple months ago during Hidden Figures, that is embarrassing as well. You would think, “well I’ll never see these people again”, but for some reason embarrassment is an emotion that can defy logic or at least our ability to explain it. Or maybe you just dread someone approaching you and asking if everything is ok, or can they help, and you hope that they would in a way, but you just want to be left alone now, but there’s no way for them to know that and you don’t want to be mean AND embarrassed, so you just go to the bathroom and sit in the toilet stall even though you don’t need to but that is the only private space. 

The tears are subsiding now, I pick up my paper plate and take a few empty plastic cups from the other Cairenes, toss them in the trash, shake the hands of the few people I had met. They graciously thank me for joining them this Sunday evening to which I replied “the pleasure was mine.” They implored me to come back on a Sunday morning sometime, which I promised I would, so I will. I try not to just say things to graciously end a conversation. Again, as Yuri Slapanovish says, “It is poor form to graciously exit your conversations by stating false intentions.”

I’m pondering the concept of Church now, even ones that seem lame upon initial inspection. Just think if Larry, Laura, Henry and Betty and all the others decided that church was a waste of time, and there was not Movie and Dinner tonight. I would not have felt the touch of God in this, Anne would not have the benefit of a better husband, and who knows where it would go from there. 

 What if there were no church at all, anywhere. It would obviously mean the absence of a place for followers of Jesus to congregate, but it would also mean an absence of events where you could get to know the locals like I was doing tonight. It also seems like for those that ARE seeking God and wanted to find out more info there would be no public place to go to. You’d just have to figure it out somehow, find out where the Christians lived, and go knock on their door and very few would really do that. Churches serve to provide a welcoming place for both believers and unbelieving seekers. It is disparaged as organized religion, but if there was no organization then I wouldn’t have known what time to show up. I’d have to just get there early in the morning and wait on the steps until someone showed up, which would be unorganized religion. We used to call that stupidity. 

It now strikes me that there is certainly nothing wrong with unbelievers not going to church, since it really doesn’t make much sense. I mean why would you want to go and regularly hear about a person that you don’t even believe in. On the other hand, if you were curious, it WOULD be nice to have a place nearby where you could go and investigate and ask questions, but that’d be only on occasion if at all. In other words it is perfectly normal for non-believers to not attend church, and for them it is not a sin. Killing people, Stealing, Fornication, Gossip, and Adultery are still sins for them, but not church abstention since it makes little sense with the exception of the seeker as previously explained.
This is NOT the case believers in Christ, and I would go so far as to say that it IS a sin if THEY abstain from church. No, I don’t mean it’s a sin to miss every once in awhile since that’s just legalistic and ignant, but I mean general abstention, like for months at a time. The reason I say this is that there are passages in the Ancient Scriptures where it says not for forsake the assembling of ourselves (Christians) together, and it does so repeatedly, which means church. That church could be in a public building or someone’s house, but there’s no denying that the holy writings command Christians to get together in groups on a regular basis. The reason is that we all benefit from each other due to the variety of spiritual gifts, so while we partly attend church for worship and to hear the message, we are also there to give of ourselves to the other believers, to comfort and encourage each other. You have to BE THERE to do so, and you have to BE THERE at the same time as the others for interaction to occur, hence the ‘organized’ part. Church should be as much a time for giving as it is for receiving. Whether I ‘like’ my church or not is not too germane if I am there principally to give to the others whom are present.” 

Anyway, for believers to abstain from group fellowship (church)  is to disobey the scriptures and it says that whatsoever if of disobedience is sin or something like that. Tonight I am so grateful for GIVING churchgoers like Larry, Laura, Henry and Betty for being faithful, well into their advanced years, in something as seemingly minor as a Dinner and Movie night. 

Carolina

As I exit the movie room, I make a mistake and enter the sanctuary since all the doors look the same in here. It’s dark so I activate my cell phone for some light and leave through the side sanctuary door, and as I do I almost bump a woman, sitting on the stoop in the dark, smoking a Doral Gold. I actually recognize her as the mulatto woman who had been inside, so I say, “nice movie huh? “
“Left early, didn’t stay for the movie,” she replied, “I just come for the dinner”. 

“Well you should have stayed, it was meaningful, at least to me”. 

“Yeeees, I suppose you’re right but I don’t go for all that Christian stuff, just need a home cooked meal every now and then, which they always seem to have here. Plus the people are nice, misguided, but nice. Did you meet Larry Potts?  He real nice.”

“Yes, briefly, but mostly I talked with Henry Aaron. I suppose you know him, right”.

“Have a seat right here boy, c’mon, I don’t bite” as she patted the stoop with her left hand. 

“Actually I have to get back soon” I lied. 

“Nonsense, sit your scrawny white ass down, I know you got nothing goin on tonight and now I feel like talking. See Mahanony is my granddaughter, and she told me about the whole 101 thing, and what you doin down here.”

I sat down and dutifully listened since she was correct, AND for some reason she seemed like someone you wouldn’t want to mess with even if she DIDN’T bite.

 “Yeees,” as she blew some rings, ”I know Henry pretty good, nice man and his wife’s a saint, but he’s got a half-brother thas meaner than a sex starved hog in late July.” 

I pondered the statement, “never good for ANYONE to be sex starved regardless of the month.” She chuckled, so I could tell she was warming up to me. Pretty soon I’ll have her eating out of my hand I thought.  “Why do you say that?” I asked. 

“Well years ago as a kid he was a fairly likable guy, but after the Albright incident he got insecure and then downright mean.  Nobody liked him. He had inherited money, didn’t need to work, and could eat his meals at restaurants all the time. Treated the local waitresses here like dirt, like they was beneath him, and then, if he didn’t like the meal, which he never did, he would pitch a fit and say he wasn’t going to pay. Make a big stink. Embarrassed his wife and family to death.  Never left a tip either of course.  He had lots of other problems as well but that’s for another time, I’m just scratchin the surface. Plus as a Christian you shouldn’t be listening to gossip, should you?  What’s your name again, Snyder your last name right?”

I hesitate on how to treat this question due to the awkwardness described earlier, and then say “BeeeeeeL”, ebonisizing the name by enunciating the consonants and elongating the solo vowel. 

“Bill”, she said angrily, “What. You trying to talk all black and everything on my account?” Just talk normal, white normal,  I know I look like some ignant old Doral smokin crack addict, but actually I have a Master’s in Mathematics from the University of Michigan and my niece still lives there way up in the Upper Peninsula. People aren’t always as they appear BEEEEEEL,” ending on a mocking note. 

“And what is YOUR name?” I asked.

“Carolina, Carolina pi.”

“Carolina Pie? You mean like the state of Carolina and a piece of Mince Meat Pie?”

“There you go tryin to sound black again, you really need to knock that off. Plus I really appreciate that you used the nastiest pie on the planet as an example, nobody likes it so why use it in reference to my name?  Anyway you got the first part right, but no, it’s pi as in 3.141592653589793238462643383279, and yes BEEEEEEEL, I could keep on as long as you like, and now you surprised Bill that some dumb skanky nigra can extend it that long, ain’t ya? Plus you don’t capitalize the “P” so every time I sign my name I just leave it small, you know, lower case. Print it that way too. Say it however you want as long as you keep the vowel long. People have gotten hurt making it short.”  

As I ponder what I’m dealing with here and looking away off to my left toward the Dollar Store I say, “You know what Carolina? You remind me of Lyndon Baines Johnson when you say NIGRA like that.”

Immediately I feel a cold piece of metal poking me hard, up under my right jaw bone. “Looky here you filthy piece of white trash, you need to watch yo smart mouf or Mr. Nine Millimeter here will be inside it taking out yo Adam’s apple and a significant portion of your cortex. Now just because I say Nigra don’t mean YOU can, and that goes for any derivation of the word.  You got that, you slimy white piece of sheeit?  Now let’s just see if you can carry on a civil conversation, without using pejorative racial slurs and I’ll do my best to make sure that Mr. Nine Millimeter here is on his best behavior. We cooo? “. It was odd the ways she fluctuated effortlessly between ebonics and non-ebonics.

“Ok, Ok, geez, yes, geeeeez, please, please, put that thing away, I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful.” I’m now remembering that pi is an irrational number since it can’t be expressed as a fraction, which is not comforting considering the current context. 

Putting the Glock 43 away she says sheepishly, “Sorry if I’m a little sensitive tonight, ran low on my meds today, and I kinda overacted. Ain’t even loaded. Normally it is but I’m a little short a cash right now and can’t afford anymore ammo till my retirement check comes in. I’m retired from NASA.
Feeling a little better I ask, “you worked for NASA?”.

“You ever see the movie about them NASA Ladies BEEEL?  

I nod affirmatively, not feeling as verbose as I was before the Glock incident.

“Well I was one of them Computers, and yes I knew Katy Johnson. We weren’t exactly friends but I knew her, and the others as well. You see, as a child with a last name like pi, people just assume I’d be good at math. Yeees, stupid I know, but it’s one of those self-fulfilling  type things. They would put me in the advanced classes in grade school, and sho nuff, I WAS good. Maybe the slave owner that named my great great great granddaddy know what he was doing. From what I understand he was an astronomer of some sort. Anyway, after working at Langley I had to come back to Cairo to take care of my mother who died in 1980, but I just never left. I could of, but I didn’t. Not sure why, just didn’t.”

“Anyway, I know you been snooping around town asking questions about what happened here, and I don’t know if you’re a reporter or something but I want you to know the truth. You smoke?” she asked extending a cigarette. 

“No thank you, I’m good” figuring I should let her talk as long as she likes, considering the situation. Plus, I’m not really sure the Glock’s  not loaded and  in order to ensure the health of my cortex I let her continue.

Albright’s Beer

“People think that the whole situation started with Robby Hunt, but actually it’s a bit deeper than that. Robby was really just the spark, kindof like Duke Franz Ferdinand getting shot by that Serbian Gavrilo Princip to start World War One. The underlying conditions were ripe, like a dry forest waiting for lightning. In any case the real culprit was a white boy named Bobby Albright, a tall, blonde, husky but not fat, good looking kid at the time. So one Friday night, July 14th, 1967, there was this party at Jimmy Manser’s house on the east side of town by the Ohio River, mostly Catholic kids, but all white, no blacks. Jimmy’s parents worked in the horse semen business and were at a conference over in Paducah that evening.  Anyway, Bobby Albright went to ALL the parties, and he specially liked the Catholic ones since they tended to be the wildest, so he was there at this one. The Catholics usually had plenty of kegs on hand, however sometimes they would run out due to the number of kids, and knowing this Bobby would always bring an extra case of Schlitz as a contingency. Being somewhat greedy he wouldn’t bring the case indoors in case others decided to prematurely help themselves so he usually hid the case outside, and on this night it was not very well hidden underneath a dumpster in the alley behind the house, because he was anxious to see Mary Anne Piano who was inside.  Anyway, after ‘hiding’ the case, Bobby went into the house party, drinking with the others from the keg. 

While Bobby was partying inside, another kid came down the alley named Eugene ‘Bubba’ McCue, a portly white boy who was known to have digestive issues. At the time Bubba was a well-liked kid, and some called him Bubba Mac or Bubba Macaroon since he was extremely fond of that cookie or whatever it is. Anyway, while Bubba was walking to the Manser party with his friends Dicky Baily and Brian LaCasio, he noticed the poorly hidden case sticking out from underneath the dumpster. Immediately he knew that it was Bobby’s since he knew Albright pretty well and also knew Bobby’s contingency routine from past experience at other keggers. Anyway, when Bubba saw the case of Schlitz he lit up like the fourth of July and shouted with glee, ‘Albrights Beer!’
‘Yeah, so?’ said Dicky. ‘you gonna steal it?”

“‘No, better than that, Bubba says, ’I kinda gotta go right now and wouldn’t it be hilarious if I went right on top of this case of Shlitz! Get it? Schlitz?  Anybody got any tissues or napkins on em?’”

“’Hold on there,”said Dicky, ‘what’d Bobby ever do to you that would make you want to contaminate his beers man? Bobby’s a good guy. And if he ever finds out NOBODY would want to BE you.’”

“’Puhleeees Dicky, it ain’t as bad as stealin em, and anyways Albright’s always doing this type of stuff to everyone else and frankly so are you. Besides, if he gets thirsty he can just hose em off later with Mr. Manser’s garden hose right there on the side of the house. Now, who’s got some type of paper, cleanex, anything.’”

“’I do’ said Brian, offering some used moist kleenex.’”

“Repulsed, Bubba says ’That’s nasty, I don’t want your snot touching ANY part of my body.’”

“’Guess you’ll have to just be a man then’, Dicky interjected, ‘because I don’t have anything else, and no I’m not letting you use my T-shirt.  That’s all you got bro.’”

“Bubba paused. Dicky’s comment gave Bubba an idea, figuring he could use his OWN T-shirt since it was a hot night, so he removed his outer Polo shirt, took HIS OWN V-neck undershirt off and handing it to Dicky said, ‘here, hold this’ and then put his polo back on. Dicky and Brian just started cracking up, saying that no way would Bubba do it, but now that Bubba was unbuckling his belt they started to recoil  in horror, averting their gaze. To make a long story short, Bubba slid the case out from underneath the dumpster and released his ordnance all over the top of Albright’s case of Schlitz. After taking his V-neck from Dicky and cleaning things up, he threw his soiled Hanes into the aforementioned dumpster, but it only went partway in, with the sleeve hanging on the lip of the container. The trio then joined the party inside the house as if nothing had happened.”

Carolina paused to take another puff of the Doral. At this point I’m getting tired and a bit queasy but I’m intrigued. Carolina flicks the butt of her spent Doral into the puddle on the meager lawn, and lifts another from the pack as she continues.

“As the festivities progressed the keg DID indeed run dry, Bobby WAS getting thirsty, and the party host, Jimmy Manser shouted, ‘KEGS DRY’. Bobby happened to be occupied at the time with MaryAnne Piano in the linen closet, but could hear Jimmy through the door, so he excused himself, whispering to MaryAnne, ‘wait here a minute, just leave them on the floor for now, I’ll be right back’, as he shut the door behind him. It was  10:20 PM.”

“As Bobby walked towards his case in the alley he happened to see a guy who looked like Leroy Coleman, a black dude that he knew from grade school years ago in Cadiz, Kentucky. Leroy looked like he was running toward the Burger King, but Bobby didn’t think much of it at the moment other than what in the world is Leroy doing over here in Cairo. However, as he approached the hidden case of Schlitz he could see obvious signs evidence of tampering, plus it was no longer underneath the dumpster where he had placed it. When he got close and realized by the smell what had occurred, coupled with seeing Coleman running down the alley, he jumped to conclusions, of course blaming Leroy for the soiling of the Schlitz. Walking away disgusted, saying ‘Nooooo, Noooo, Whyyyyy, a Whole Case, Noooo!’  he went back inside the house, furious, cussing, shouting Leroy’s name, punching the walls,  and telling everybody what had happened and whom he suspected. He grabbed his smokes and left in a really bad mood a few minutes before 11. Bobby was never the same since that night, and I can’t really blame him. A man should never soil another man’s Schlitz. But that’s not what messed Bobby up in the end. Hmmm, maybe it did indirectly though.” 

Carolina paused again, taking another drag saying,” before I go on there’s one thing you should know about Leroy Coleman. See, as I referenced earlier Leroy was from Cadiz where Bobby used to live when they was jus li’l chitlins, but over time Leroy developed an acrimonious attitude about black people, even though he was black himself. Nobody could explain it, but he started talkin white and dressin white, you know cardigan sweaters, cargo shorts, playing tennis, all that,  kinda like Carlton in Fresh Prince of Belair. The main difference between him and Carlton though was that Leroy was a mean individual, so none of the blacks OR whites in Cadiz would ever dare call him an Uncle Tom. That happened ONE time when big Joe Cottman called him that, and now Joe only got one eye. Lucky he didn’t lose em both. Oh, and Joe only got the top half a left ear also. Leroy kept the bottom half with the lobe as a memento. Kept it in a mason jar with formaldehyde where it sits today over in Cadiz.  Oh, and one other thing. Leroy didn’t like men who wore hats for decoration. He was okay with hats that dudes would where to keep warm, and baseball caps were ok too, but he really had a severe distaste for decorative hats like beanies, berets, Ascots, Berettas, French driver hats, stuff like that. Thought they were gay, which was odd since Leroy himself was queer as a three dollar bill but he’d do the ladies too if he was in the right mood and it didn’t matter too much what they looked like. Not very discriminatin in that department. Anyway Leroy hated everybody that was like him, which meant blacks and gays, and especially black gays. Sick individual. And mean like I said. ”  

"Anyway, one of the girls at Manser’s party, Maggy (Margaret) Moon, had heard Bobby cussing about Leroy soiling his beer, told the whole story to her Dad, who thought it was hilarious. Anyway, Mr. Moon told one of his friends on the police force who then called Enloe Jones, then the assistant Chief of Police. Due to the Chinese telephone tag translations, the story did not sound so hilarious to Enloe, and therefore he sent Officer Randall Carver who found Leroy by the Burger King, and locked him up in the same cell as Robert Hunt, the boy from Urbana who was visiting friends here in Cairo. Randy never reported that he locked up Leroy so as far as anyone knew Robby was the only one in the cell.  That was on the evening of July 15th, day after the party. Well, most know the story about how Robert was hanged in his cell there in the Cairo Police station by a T-shirt on the morning of July 16th, 1967.”

“Most say that Robert Hunt hung himself, some say the cops did it, but I say that Leroy did it.  See Robby had three things going against him. One, his cellmate was mean Leroy Coleman. Two, Leroy Coleman hated black people, they call it internalized racism.  Usually it happens with teenage white girls but not this time. Three, Robby was wearing a beret. What they also don’t tell you is that Leroy was found unconscious in the cell, due to some type of cranial hemorrhage. Robby must have kicked him in the head or something while he was hangin there or something. Nobody know for sure. Anyways now Enloe’s got one dead colored and one almost dead on his hands and zero explanations. As you may already know this is what kicked off the violence, the boycott and the sad state that you see here today.” 

“Another odd thing was that the shirt was a V-neck and was somewhat soiled, like deeply soiled, you know what I’m sayin? I don’t think it were Robby’s T-shirt since Robby Hunt wore a crew neck and Leroy wasn’t wearing one at all.” Point is that probably the whole mess with the boycott and all would never have started if Eugene ‘Bubba’ McCue had stayed away from Albright’s beer. You ever hear of the Hurricane Effect? Yep, that’s exactly what this was, ending up in the devastation you see here today. The ironic thing is that neither Robert nor Leroy were from Cairo yet somehow due to those two Nigras (and white Bubba McQue) the whole place is a ghost town.  Enloe and the Police were probably innocent this time.  You can read the rest of the story in them books that they got at the Library, but I’m telling you what led up to it and was never reported. The reports never named Leroy as the cellmate either. Strange Beel, very strange.” 

My head is now spinning, “Wow, that’s awful, awfully tragic. Umph.  But I can’t figure out why any of them would want to string Robert up. Makes no sense, unless there was something wrong with Leroy.”

“Exactly my point Beel. Now as far as what they did with Leroy, I hear they gave him a free ride over to Kentucky and dropped him off on the other side of the Ohio River bridge. Apparently he survived and last anybody heard he got a job as one of those bathroom attendants at the Charlotte airport. That’s a whole story in.” 

Just then the side sanctuary door opens and the elderly partly white lady holding her chafer steps out onto our stoop, looks at Carolina and says, “you filling our visitor with your lyin stories again Carolina? Don’t pay her no mind Mr. Snyder, they should have left her up in Anna where she belongs. The problem with Lyin Carolina is that part of the stuff she says is true. You just gotta figure out WHICH part.”

Carolina looked up at her and said, “We’re ALL liars Leetha, just a matter of frequency and degree.”
Leetha gave her the most sinister blood curdling look I had ever seen, then turned around and continued towards her fuchsia Dodge Dart with her warming tray.  I said to Carolina, “how come you didn’t defend yourself, she was much more disrespectful than I was?"

Carolina sat there and thought for a moment, then with a subdued sigh said,”Beeel, thas Leetha. Used to call her Leethal.  Was my cell mate up there in Anna for li’l bit. She all Christian now, but if she were to ever backslide for just 5 minutes, I’d rather be one of Albright’s beers than be within 500 miles of her. Better just to leave well nuff alone, and not reverse her born again situation.  My mama told me you should never stoke a fire that you can’t extinguish.

After a moment of silence I asked Carolina, “What ever happened to Bubba McCue and Bobby Albright?”

Carolina lit her newly retrieved Doral, and said “Bubba… he that sex starved bastard I referred to earlier.  Used to be married to my daughter, but she threw his mean ass out then she got all  bisexual and everything. Moved up to Michigan, like way up, Upper Peninsula with that nastyass skank girlfriend of hers. Works at a coffee shop or deli or something now. Bubba is obviously here in Cairo workin at the Bunge plant. Bobby’s still up in Anna at the Mental facility where me and Leetha cohabitated for awhile.”

“You said your daughter’s in the Upper Peninsula” I asked. “What town?”

“Manistique. Chlòe, the McCues, and Bobby Albright are all long stories. I only jus scratchin the  surface. How much time you got?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Visit to Anna, Illinois - July 18, 2017

My Visit to Eugene