Downtown Anna, July 19, 2017
Downtown Anna, Illinois - July 19, 2017
.
11. The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd.[b] 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the duty of all mankind.
King Solomon - Ecclesiastes Chapter 12
The city of Anna has a population of
about 4,400 souls, but with Jonesboro next door the metro area holds about 6,200
people, which is almost the size of Mount Horeb, weighing in at 8,000. Like
many towns it’s size it has a dominant main street and again like most towns
they have named it Main Street, dividing it into North Main and South Main. The
west entrance to the Mental Health facility is on North Main, so in order to
get to the downtown area you just hang a left (south) as you leave Choate and
follow it until it turns into South Main which is where the local espresso
joint is, and espresso is what I want right now before I head over to the
Cardinal House on Casey Street where Yuri Slapanovich is reported to reside.
The ride is only 4 minutes long
since Kiki’s, the espresso joint, is not even a mile away from the insane
asylum. Parking is easy since it is a weekday, so I walk in and indeed the
front looks like a coffee shop but the back section is more like a restaurant
with tables and table cloths, not like what you would expect of a more Bohemian
vibe like the Cedar Street Café in Manistiquè. Toward the back of the place are
some instruments for your typical band such as drums, electric guitar, and
bass, but seemingly a band that would be too loud for a coffee house, which it
probably is. I’m really glad that they are not playing at the moment since almost
every band that possesses an electric instrument likes to play it so that it is
impossible for anyone else in the room to talk, as if to say "listen to me and
only me, shut down your pleasant conversations and only listen to me. I know
you are getting to know each other but now is the time to stop and get to know
how awesome we are up here in the front." This is not so true of acoustic
players, but usually true of electric routines, and there are just so many
bands, and in my town of 8,000 there are about 40 that I know of right now.
According to my own informal estimate there are about 250,000 bands in the US,
and I'm starting to think that we really don’t need to be entertained that badly. About 100,000 of those 250K are pretty good. The rest are just chord players
with a beat, and bad or mediocre voices for the melody. It didn’t use to be this
way in that most of the bands that had enough guts to play for others were
usually somewhat talented, but then as the number of bands increased the
quality went south, emboldening other low talent musicians to enter the mix,
and they in turn emboldening others, creating a type of downward quality spiral,
resulting in the pile of slop we have today. Sure there are bright spots, but
it’s mostly garbage and to add insult to injury the slop actually think that
they’re pretty good. Remember Garth Algar and Wayne Campbell?
The other phenomenon that occurred
was that even some of males in the marginal bands looked cooler than their non-band
counterparts, and therefore enhanced their chick quotient as well as their
overall popularity quotient, so that if they couldn’t impress the ladies with
their looks or athletic ability they had another option. The Guitar. This led
to an influx of musicians that were not particularly attractive or athletic,
but somehow seemed more attractive than they would normally be without the
instruments, and truth be known the woman actually DID deem them more
attractive. I guess my point here is that a significant portion of the millions
of musicians that exist today became musicians to enhance their personal
popularity and sex appeal with the music itself being a byproduct. It would
have been so much better if the reverse were true. I don’t think this was the
case back in Ancient Greece when music was performed for music’s sake, theory
was understood, modes developed, melody lines with beauty, and voices
approaching the angelic.
I have to force myself to stop
thinking this way but it just comes on suddenly every time I see three guitars
and a set of drums. How much longer can the collective human psyche tolerate
this genre, I mean it’s been nearly seventy years already. Can someone break this
up? My thought sequence is shattered by the metrosexual, gender neutral being
behind the counter asking me what I would like, so I try to translate my
Starbucks order into its lowest common denominator. Usually I can just say
triple grande extra hot latte but I translate that to, “I’ll have a sixteen
ounce latte, two percent milk, with three shots of espresso, in a paper cup,
with a lid, and can you please make that extra hot?” The translation can be
difficult at times and sometimes I leave out a key component, usually either
the paper cup or the extra hot. It’s like speaking Spanish when you’re not
fluent and have to translate each word separately.
Exhausting. This is why I sometimes
just prefer Dunkin. Simple. Regular coffee please, extra hot. Thank you. And
the Indians seem to run them just fine. I thought they would screw them up at
first like they did with the one star hotels throughout America, but the
Dunkins did not suffer the same fate for some reason. If you think I’m racist
then you’re right. Dot Indians are terrible at hotels, pretty good at Dunkins, fine
at 7-Elevens, but really good at javascript, HTML, and XML. I just wish I could
understand Hindi since it has to be easier than their version of English. I
call it unbiased racism and give credit to the race where credit is due, but
not where it’s not due. Terrible I know.
As I’m waiting I hear a familiar
voice from my childhood, that unmistakable, rapid fire, pushy clipped speech
that is uncommon in this part of the country, as if he has half of the Jersey
accent, not the obnoxious tonality part, just the meter and phrasing portion. I
turn towards the darker section of the room, to the left of the drum set and
sure enough there is Yuri, talking with two individuals, one male and one female,
whose backs are facing me. Yuri is droning on and on about something to do with
Lesbians, and I can only hope it’s not his typical Lesbian diatribe about how
all Lesbians are latently bisexual except for the ones on the isle of Lesbos
itself, which is absolutely crazy but then again we’re in Anna. And it’s Yuri. I
have to remember that. I’m in Anna, Illinois and it’s Yuri Slapanovich.
Since I don’t really want to hear
his nonsense again but AM interested in the responses of the other two
individuals I decide to covertly listen in without revealing my identity,
afraid that my recognized presence will alter the intimacy of the
conversation. Fortunately my disguise
comes easily since I’m normally bald with glasses, and most people including
Yuri have never seen me otherwise. I happen to have my white Captain Steve’s Bait and Tackle cap with
me so I put it on and place my glasses in my pants pocket. Very few will
recognize me without my bald head and glasses, especially if they are not
expecting me, which is the case today. I sit at a table adjacent to the group,
but slightly behind and to the right of Yuri, and now within facial eyesight of
the other two although I can only see the man’s pale sickly face directly head
on. The woman, of whom I only have a side view, is attractive with a smooth
complexion, intelligent face, long auburn hair, lively demeanor, and strangely
familiar. The hair is not yet gray, but still too long for her age. I wish I
could get a better look, but for right now I’m mostly interested in the
conversation and fortunately Yuri does not recognize me.
He indeed is going on about the isle
of Lesbos, but the woman turns her head to look at her cell phone, and I get a
full view of her face. It actually looks like Nurse Penny but I’m not sure
since her hair is longer than the last time I saw her, but then I look at her
left bicep and there it is, a tat of LBJ with the text “All the Way with LBJ”
under his image. Yep that’s Penelope Jane Piano alright. (It’s been rumored
that Penny’s mother actually DID go all the way with LBJ on a visit to Pedernales
in 1959, which was the reason for the tat.) Quickly I look down as if reading
my book and fortunately she doesn’t recognize me either.
She turns her head back to look
again at Yuri as he continues….
“Have you ever heard of Dr.
Butterfield?” Yuri asks the other two to which Penny says no and without
waiting for the pale slender gentleman to responds starts his answer. “Well she
really getting into it with Jen Hatmaker, whom I’m pretty sure you have heard
of, right?”
Penny nods her assent, giving Yuri
implicit permission to continue, but I think she is just nodding to get this
over with and has never heard of Hatmaker either.
“Well her name is actually Rosario
Butterfield and she has a doctorate in English Literature and was a tenured
professor in Women’s and Gender Studies at Syracuse University back in the late
90’s. She used to be like this total Lesbian, then became a Christian in 1999,
and is now saying that there is no such thing as a Christian Lesbian or really Christian
homosexual of any type. Something about how the adjective changes the noun
which in this case is inaccurate, according to her. On the other end of the spectrum is Jen
Hatmaker, who has an evangelical ministry in Austin Texas, and who used to view
all homosexual activity as a sin and now is ok with it saying that LGBTZ
marriages can be holy. Well maybe not Z.
Anyway, Dr. Butterfield just issued a somewhat blistering statement about Jen
supporting LGBTZ Christianity, talking about her previous self, saying that ‘If
I were still in the thick of the battle over the indwelling sin of lesbian
desire, Jen’s words would have put a millstone around my neck.’ What
makes the whole thing interesting is that Dr. Butterfield is a Presbyterian and
Jen is an Evangelical, or at least used to be. Weird since most mainline
churches change their doctrines to accommodate the culture but evangelicals
don’t, nor do Catholics. The teachings of the church should be the lighthouse with
the cultures being the ships that come and go. Right and wrong shouldn’t change
based on our perceptions. Perceptions can and ARE altered by the culture, and sometimes the culture is rotten.”
“Hmmm,”
said Penny, “that is indeed odd and while I don’t know much about Dr. Butterfield
I don’t think that Hatmaker speaks for the entire evangelical community. I mean
I like her and everything but I’m not sure how much of an evangelical she is in
the first place.”
“I
guess that depends on your definition of evangelical then doesn’t it?” Yuri replied.
“Well whatever she is I do believe that she is a Christian and so is Rosario,
but Rosario used to be a bonafide Lesbian so she would have more authority regarding
the topic. I tend to think that Hatmaker is just trying to conform culturally,
thereby increasing her relevance quotient, like so many of the churches do
anymore. Don't you think Hatmaker is just trying to do what it takes to fit into her milieu? ”
“Yuri”,
Penny interjects, “why are you bringing this up right now?”
“I
guess I just remembered that you were somewhat bisexual and thought you might
be interested, especially since you’re sort of a Christian these days. Seems
relevant.”
“You’re
an asshole. What makes you think that I’m bisexual and why in the world would
you qualify my Christianity with the phrase sort-of.”
“Seems
like you just answered your second question by your first sentence which seems to
violate a couple of Christian tenets right off the bat, AND you use the F word
on a fairly regular basis at Choate. Regarding the whole bi thing, I have my
sources, multiple.”
“Name
one.”
“I
don’t think that would be a good idea, but you’ve hinted at in that past, like
when you went on that spring break trip in college with a bunch of girls, and from
what I remember it turned into somewhat of an intra-gender orgy.”
“I
don’t remember telling you anything about an intra-gender orgy.”
“Yeah,
but you implied it and you knew that I got the implication. Plus one of your
friends at the hospital said that when you were in the cafeteria you came up
behind her and cupped both of her mammary glands in your hands and fondled them
somewhat. She had to pull away from you forcefully. You really should stick to
other bisexuals and full blown lesbians, you can’t just get away with that type
of behavior with straight woman, if there really are any.”
“To
your last point, all women do that, we’re just more…affectionate,” she said
drawing out the word affectionate. Plus
I had a little too much alcohol that time.”
“Really
Penny? Well maybe they do and maybe they don’t, but that still seems like a
lesbo type activity to me. In any case you don’t need to be defensive, I won’t
tell your husband or anything and I don’t really think any less of you, in fact
I think it’s kind of hot. Not that I’m attracted to you or anything because if
I were I wouldn’t be so offensive. In any case you should read Dr.
Butterfield’s book. I think it’s called The
Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert.”
“I’ll bet
you haven’t even read it yourself.” said Penny.
“No,
but I know the basic content. Plus I’m straight and don’t really need to read
it in its entirety. You on the other hand…”
“Shut up
Asshole,” she said with flirty type of forced anger. “Plus I got plenty of
stuff on YOU so don’t think YOU are all high and mighty. Your one of the most ‘sort of’ Christians I know.”
“Ok,
calm down, and before this conversation deteriorates any further can I get you another
Mocha?”
“Sure,
not so much chocolate this time though, way too sweet.”
As Yuri
went to retrieve the Mocha the slender, quiet pale gentleman got up, whispered
something in Penny’s ear and walked out the rear entrance past the drum set.
She didn’t really respond to him, but her countenance looked like it went
through a downgrade, and then he walked out the rear entrance past the drum
set. As he was leaving he pulled the cell phone from his pants pocket and as he
did it looked like a business card came with it but fell on the floor without
him noticing.
As Yuri
was getting the refills I decided to put my glasses back on and take my hat off
to see if he would now recognize me on his way back to the table. I doubted
that Nurse Penny would recognize me since I had only met her once briefly up in
Viroqua, and that was at dusk. When he returned he walked directly back to the
table placing Penny’s mocha in front of her and sat back down with his. The odd
thing was that he never mentioned the slender fellow who was no longer there
and neither did Penny. In fact I don’t remember the guy saying anything at all
during the whole conversation except that he had whispered something in Penny’s
ear. They picked up the conversation as if the guy had never been there.
“Thank
you,” said Penny. “You know, we made light of it earlier but I really don’t
understand why evangelicals have this weird thing against cussing. Sometimes
there is just no other word that seems to describe a person or situation, and I
think that cussing lends a certain edge to the conversation, kind of like spice
to a meal. I really don’t think that I would be able to convey certain thoughts
without it.”
“Yeah," said Yuri, "I’m not sure why either but it probably has something to do with a passage in
the Bible somewhere. I’m not sure why I said it that way since I know exactly
what. There are a couple of them. Like in the Book of Colossians where it says
‘But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.’ Then there’s another one in the Book of
Ephesian where it says ‘Let there be no filthiness
nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let
there be thanksgiving.’ And then Jesus said that it’s not what goes into a man
that defiles him but what comes out of his mouth or something like that. Anyway
it’s clear that Christians aren’t supposed to but I’m with you, I’m not sure
why other than apparently God doesn’t want us to.”
“I guess
that’s reason enough if you’re a true Christian,” said Nurse Penny. It just
seems so trivial, and plus I don’t want to come off like one of those
evangelical freaks. I want to retain who I am, and I’d be afraid of losing my
whole personality if I adopted everything in the Bible. Profanity is like a
major part of my essence and if I lose my essence then it’s kind of like Austin
Powers losing his mojo…baby,” imitating the voice of Austin with the last two words.
“Yeah,
it’s the whole obedience thing. I guess God just wants us to obey him and that
pleases him, and plus I think that when He’s pleased He’s more apt to answer
our prayers, so possibly there’s that. Sometimes you just have to suck it up
and take the criticism and if you really are having trouble with expressing
yourself maybe you should read more books to improve your vocabulary. Plus it
might actually enhance your personality and actually enhance your mojo, did you ever think of that.”
“No, but
I am thinking of spilling this mocha all over your white shirt.”
“No need
to get all upset, I totally get you and really I’m not a lot different in that
I think the swear words and you say them. At least you don’t use substitute
profanity like friggin and effin and other such terms. People who cuss should just cuss, and not try to artificially cleanse it. Still, I think that obedience in
small things is important, maybe not AS important as the big things, but still
important and I think they are related.”
“How
so?” asked Penny.
Yuri
thought for a moment, took a sip on his latte but it went down his respiratory
tube instead of his digestive tube and he started choking a bit. After Penny
asked the obligatory ‘are you going to be ok’ he continued. “Sorry, wrong pipe.
As I was saying it’s a habit thing I guess. We all want to acquire good habits
right? I look at obedience as a habit I’d like to acquire, just like other good
habits. I want to kind of practice obedience throughout the day, every day, even
in the small things and maybe then it will help me in the larger areas. A
doctor doesn’t start out by operating on the spinal cord does she and I use the
word she on purpose. They give her a
spleen or gall bladder or some other useless organ to practice on first, but
she still wants to do a good job to please her superiors. In other words I
don’t want to just be a Christian on Sunday, and just give appearances for
obvious reasons. I don’t think you do either do you?”
“Of
course not,” she replied, “which is why I cuss on Sunday also.
“Yes
Penny, you’re hilarious,” Yuri said sarcastically. “But still you get my point
right?”
“I get
your point. Do you get mine?”
“Only
partially, I mean I get your point totally but I don’t know how you resolve it
with obedience. You must be conflicted, at least a little. You’re correct in
that profanity is a small thing, but obedience is a large thing regardless of
the importance of the particular activity. In other words it’s the concept of
obedience that’s important, not necessarily the form. A small thing is the same
as a large thing in some ways. I think Jesus said that if I can’t trust you in
the small things how can I trust you with the big stuff, or something like
that.”
“Good
point. I’m still going to cuss though. And you really should tighten up your
scripture references, you’re getting sloppy. The one you’re after is in Luke Chapter
16, but I don’t know the verse. You’ll find it. Thank you Laura Potts.”
“Do what
you gotta do," said Yuri, "but at least stop groping women, I don’t think you grope men but
please stop it with the ladies. Didn’t Laura teach you that as well back in
Cairo?”
“Another
good point and that might be more doable, although some of the female inmates
are pretty hot and it’s tough, especially those that give off a vibe. Hot is hot, regardless of the gender but I’ll try.
Anyway, why were you released from Choate. I had to pull a lot of strings to
get you in there this last time, and then like a month later you’re out. What’s
up with that?”
“I think
it was a just a financial thing in that it costs the state of Illinois a lot of
money to feed all us crazies and plus those MindFreedom people are really
putting the pressure on the mental hospitals to do the whole catch and release
thing. They think that people like me should be on the outside as productive
members of society, and that it’s good for us. Lord knows it definitely not
good for society or for Anna. Look at this town, nobody wants to move here
anymore because of all of the psychos out and about, acting like they’re
normal people but they’re not and you can’t expect them to be. Most of the
people here are really not made for the front porch genetically and you know
that Penny. They know it too. I’ll bet that twenty five percent of the adult
population of Anna is totally wacko under a fine fragile outer membrane, that
that membrane is so fine it’s almost non-existent. What they don’t understand is
that some of us actually WANT to be on the inside, not out here where we don’t
belong. Why can’t things just go back to normal where us loonies get a choice
in the matter. You’re pro-choice right?”
“You’re
not crazy Yuri and you know it. You’re living a lie and I’ve been complicit in
it. You need to just knock it off.”
“Really
Penny. Really? And are you the one who gets to define crazy? What is it then
huh? If I can’t function the rest of the day because my fingernails are cut too
short is that crazy enough for you. What if I want to throw myself off the
Marriott Marquis in Times Square just to enjoy the ride, which I do sometimes?
Is that crazy enough for you? What about when I ate that lady’s hair clippings
just to feel closer to her? Or the time I borrowed that mannequin from Forever
21 just to get in the HOV lane. And what about when I resort to opening the
salami package with a Skil saw because the stupid tab that say’s remove here
doesn’t work. I mean what do I have to do?
Seriously, what?”
“Stop it
Yuri, you’re sounding stupid, and no one in their right mind would let you
around a Skil saw anyways. I can handle crazy
but not stupid. You know full well that you don’t belong in there. Do you
really enjoy getting beat up by Bobby Albright every single day?"
“He
doesn’t beat me up Penny, he just does the tit twister thing when we’re in the
cafeteria. I can handle it, although my tits ARE kinda sore right now.
Sometimes I’m afraid I have breast cancer though. In any case I just gotta keep
my distance and be a little more careful when I’m in the food line or on the
toilet. Plus, aren’t you supposed to protect me in there? I saved YOU back in Iquitos from Don Richo,
you’d think you could return the favor once in a while. Speaking of Bobby
Albright, how’s Mary Ann.”
“Mary
Ann who?”
“Seriously
Penny? You know full well who. Your
sister. Mary Ann Piano.”
“What
the hell is wrong with you?” she said in an angry hushed tone as she looked
nervously around the coffee shop, “See this knife? I’m about three seconds and
two feet away from castrating your crazy ass right here on this laminated floor.
You’re not supposed to even know about that. I trusted you and you agreed to never speak
that name again.”
“Sorry,
I forgot,", said Yuri, "but regardless, you really SHOULD stop cussing, makes you sound
whorish.”

Comments
Post a Comment